Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Post Election Thoughts


A woman said to me today that she was ecstatic about the election results. My jaw nearly dropped. She is a devout Catholic and she went on to say that the Spirit was really moving yesterday for so many people to vote all the same way. I asked her "which spirit?"

She confirmed what I had already suspected. Catholics, by and large, vote Liberal. They simply don't know, or perhaps don't care, that the Liberal party is 100% pro-choice since Justin Trudeau declared that all Liberal members of Parliament must vote pro-choice on any bills that come up in Parliament.

When I told her this fact, she replied "aren't all the parties the same?"  Well, not exactly. At least if you are a Conservative member of Parliament, you are allowed to vote according to your conscience.

It confirms to me another point: people don't really know what having a conscience and acting according to one's conscience is. At least, it doesn't seem to matter one whit.

As Charles Krauthammar said tonight on Fox News, Canadians have elected the Liberal party for almost 100 years of their existence as a country. The Liberal party is the default party.

Why is that? I have a theory that will be sure to get me called racist. And I may be completely out to lunch on this. I admit that. But I think Canadians feel some kind of obligation to the province of Quebec. They hesitate to offend Quebecers. Since most Liberal party leaders are Francophones and most come from Quebec, electing that party is a nod of assent to that province.

Why this need to appease Quebec? It is baffling.

One pro-lifer told me that the reason the pro-life movement doesn't get anywhere in Canada is because they are held back by the position of Quebec on this issue. Quebec has the highest number of abortions in the country; it also has the highest number of common law relationships; and many of those don't even live together. Isn't that kind of weird?  People who live together as a couple, but don't want to share the same physical space. Sort of let's have our cake and eat it too. Commitment is just too much, so let's have the fun parts of the relationship, but as for getting on with the rest of life, I'd rather do it solo, thank you very much.

Is this part of the reason Canada is so odd when it comes to matters of real importance? We are somehow held hostage by this province that lives according to its own rules. Quebec is a little country to itself, a kind of token France in the middle of America. It has abandoned its religious heritage and is far left on every moral issue, and expects the rest of us to follow its lead.

Enough, if this is what is going on in this country, I would rather we split. Give them their independence and let them go on their merry way. Because the rest of us don't want any part of it. I should say I don't want any part of it, I shouldn't speak for anyone else at this point.
















5 comments:

Suzanne F. said...

I don't think it's very Catholic to want to kick a part of Canada out of the country.

Rather, the Catholic thing to do is push for more pro-life effort. Because even if Quebec separates, Quebec babies will still be killed, and we can't just abandon them.

Julie Culshaw said...

No, I am not being very charitable. But I am angry that so much of our national politics has been determined by Catholic politicians from Quebec, who have ignored their faith in their political lives. Father Alphonse de Valk said that Canada is unique in that it is the only country in which abortion became 100% legal on the watch of Catholic leaders. A terrible legacy.

Anonymous said...

Quebec...The province where it is ILLEGAL to take your husbands name, and where they won't recognize your changed last name if you move there.

I actually can't believe how many Catholics I also know who voted Liberal. I think it's out duty to inform them about Trudeau's dictatorship approach to abortion and who can be a Liberal. Next it will be: Christians need not apply to run.

Julie Culshaw said...

Anonymous, can you give me a link to the info about last names that you mentioned? that is stunning, who knew? that is so anti-family.

Suzanne F. said...

There is a heck of a lot of apathy about abortion in Quebec, even among church-going Catholics.