Thursday, February 5, 2015

The moral issue behind vaccinations


All news stations are reporting on the measles outbreak in the US, and I just saw that a case was reported in Niagara, Ontario.  The question is raised "should the government mandate vaccinations for all children"  with the qualifier that they mean children who are attending school. I am led to believe that, if a parent chooses not to vaccinate their child/ren, they have the option of home-schooling.

I have fired off several emails to Bill O'Reilly, but as of yet, none of my emails have ever been answered.  Two days ago, I sent another one, asking him to raise the question of ethical vaccines, since many parents don't wish to vaccinate their children. Not out of fear of autism, but because they know that the vaccines are produced using the cells of aborted fetuses.

No reply.  Even so-called pro-life news commentators don't want to talk about this one.  Perhaps I will try Megyn Kelly, although she has already stated that she vaccinated all three of her children and she strongly advises all parents to do the same.

And so here is a very reasonable article, written by a Catholic mom, who has faced this question of whether vaccines can be used knowing where they are sourced.  She doesn't come down on either side of this issue, but rather appeals to people to be reasonable.  There can be more than one reason for why someone would choose not to vaccinate their child, and this one concerning the source of vaccines from aborted babies, is certainly a reason that deserves consideration. 
I’ve asked all of my children’s doctors if it were possible to procure ethically-sourced vaccines, offering to pay out of pocket if necessary (barring anything prohibitively expensive). I was always told they weren’t able to procure any, even prior to 2009 when they were allegedly available from Merck.
 At every check-up, I ask my kids’ doctor if he thinks the risk is significant enough that we need to take recourse to the vaccines. (So far, the answer has been no, but my youngest son’s 15-month well-baby check is coming up in a few weeks and I plan to ask again, given some recent cases in our area.) I don’t take measles lightly; I know it is a serious illness that can have serious complications, and it scares me. But I don’t want to ignore my conscience simply out of fear – that can set a bad precedent.
 ......... 
It’s also not helpful to accuse me (or anyone else) of deliberately wanting to kill children, as Mark Shea did in that same Facebook conversation: “Your views are a public menace and a threat to the lives of my granddaughters. I don’t take kindly to people who threaten to blind and kill my granddaughters.” I don’t think this is how Catholics should talk with one another.

http://www.catholicstand.com/lets-be-reasonable-vaccines/


(Mark Shea is one writer whom I refuse to read; anytime I have read something by him, I have become so incensed, I really don't understand why he has such a following, he lashes out frequently and vindictively, hardly something I admire in a commentator.)

For more information on this issue, click this link for a good article.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/science/ethical-issues/immunity-from-evil-vaccines-derived-from-abortion.html

More on this subject by Jill Stanek
http://www.jillstanek.com/2015/02/measles-outbreak-brings-aborted-fetal-cells-vaccines/




















1 comment:

Elena said...

Well, as you know, our kids are completely vaccinated. I asked fr. Paul Burchat about it way back when we first started with the twins. He went into moral theology with me and came out with an ok to vaccination with the MMR: weighing removed involvement in the original act of abortion vs. public safety. We also vaccinated against chickenpox, which I sort of regret. Truthfully, I put a blindfold over my eyes and just said yes because Isaac had just been hospitalized with pneumonia and we were not in fighting mode. Apparently the only place that one can get a morally licit mmr vaccine is Japan. And, amazingly, some parents have gone there to get it. Very difficult question, this.