Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Morgentaler regretted his wife's abortion


 
 
From 1983, an interview between Bernard Nathanson and Henry Morgentaler.  Both men were abortion doctors; both men aborted their own children; both men regretted those abortions.  Nathanson changed from pro-abortion to pro-life and later converted to the Catholic faith.  He said he carried the weight of all those deaths on his conscience.  Morgentaler did not express remorse for his life, but died while a lawsuit was still pending in New Brunswick to allow federal funding for his abortion clinic in Fredericton.
 
 
 
 
 


5 comments:

Suzanne F. said...

I would love for someone to conduct a study on what Henry Morgentaler knew about the unborn.

Here Morgentaler compares the embryo to "a few cells".

Considering the state of pregnancy detection in 1983, I doubt the embryo was "a few cells" by the time the pregnancy was detected.

Nathanson says that Morgentaler hasn't seen the ultrasounds.

Now I remember Peter Ryan had a discussion with Morgentaler-- I believe it was in 2002 -- and he showed Morgentaler a fetal model, but Morgentaler was surprised at the model, not realizing how developed a fetus was by that particular week of pregnancy.

However, I had a conversation with Karen Murawsky, who debated Morgentaler and she believes he knew more than he let on, that he was very well aware of fetal development.

I would love to conduct that study.

Julie Culshaw said...

If you have the time (?) you should do it. I would love for someone to write the history of the pro-life movement in Canada. We are deficient in knowledge here.

Elena said...

I thought that Cassidy had written it.

Julie Culshaw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie Culshaw said...

I asked him about that and he told me that he had written some articles about this. But if he wrote something comprehensive, he wasn't taking any credit for me. He referred me to Catholics Against the Church, which was the doctoral thesis of Michael Cuneo. It only covers the period from 1969 to 1985 however and concentrates on Ontario mostly. It leaves a lot out. I am still trying to figure out how Joe Borowski fit into all of this.