Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Movies - very selective here

Not being a movie-goer, I am very very selective about which movies I want to spend my money, and even more importantly, my time on.

So the recent movies that have come out are getting mixed reviews. Many people have asked me if I have seen either Son of God or Noah and I just shake my head and don't say anything further. What's the point of arguing about things that don't even bother most people?

I really don't wish to view anything that is produced by Roma Downey. I tolerated her on Touched by an Angel, but frankly I have difficulty with people whose public lives don't seem to be in sync with their private lives. And when I read that Downey was married to her current husband in a ceremony that was officiated by co-star Della Reese, I lost complete interest in seeing Son of God. I really do think that Downey has found a vehicle for over-dramatizing her aspirations on the screen; perhaps making super-religious films makes her feel good (or at least flatters her ego by letting her play Mary in all the films), but I just can't be bothered to give any financial support to such endeavours. There are much better things to do with my time and my money. Not to mention the fact that the character of Jesus looks completely mis-cast; who can believe a Jesus with bedroom eyes?

As for the film Noah, I think it is a grand slam of a film meant to wow audiences which it is doing, but as for being truthful to the story of Noah, you can forget it. Not only is it untruthful, it is actually a reversal of truth from what I have read. Again, another waste of time and money as far as I am concerned.

However, I am holding out for God's Not Dead. Now this is a film that I really do want to see. In the film, a professor tells his class that they must all agree that God is dead as the underlying foundation for his philosophy course; only one student cannot comply. He is told that he must present over the course of the term, arguments to convince the professor that God is not dead, and at the end of term, engage in a debate with the professor in front of the class. If he does not succeed in doing this, he fails the course.

A review of this film and an interview with the two men who produced the film have piqued my interest, and I think this is a film worth spending both time and money on.

With almost no one in his corner, Josh wonders if he can really fight for what he believes. Can he actually prove the existence of God? Wouldn't it just be easier just to write "God Is Dead" and put the whole incident behind him? GOD'S NOT DEAD weaves together multiple stories of faith, doubt and disbelief, culminating in a dramatic call to action. The film will educate, entertain, and inspire moviegoers to explore what they really believe about God, igniting important conversations and life-changing decisions.
The interview with the producers was even more intriguing. These are guys with faith who want to produce something that challenges the culture, and for that, they deserve lots of support.

Hartline: I think a faithful Christian, or anyone of faith, feels a lot has changed in the last five or six years. People of faith are often mocked or belittled in popular culture, and the faithful are accused of all sorts of bigotry and ignorance. We are told to get with the times, as if our consciences could really leave the truth behind. It seems the movie is addressing that underlying feeling in the faith community.

Solomon and Konzelman: Yes, that's definitely the nerve that's been touched. Secular humanists insist that Christians in general — and Catholics in particular — are supposed to leave their belief system at home when it comes to matters in the public sphere. So according to the rules they propose, their belief system is allowable . . . and ours isn't. Which is a deliberate attempt to subvert the whole democratic process. As someone else pointed out: Democracy is supposed to be about more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
http://www.tothesource.org/4_2_2014/4_2_2014.htm

I didn't see that the film is scheduled to come to Canada, at least we were not mentioned in the list of viewings in the article. So I may have to wait for it to come out in DVD, but if you get a chance to see it, please do and let me know what you think. 


http://www.godsnotdeadthemovie.com/Canada

















 

 

2 comments:

Tim Underwood said...

http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/canada

Julie Culshaw said...

thank you for that link, Tim.