Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What about Catholics in Canada?

Given the present situation in the US, with President Obama mandating health insurance coverage of birth control methods, including those that are abortifacient, I wondered about my own country.

Here, in Canada, we have universal health care but that does not include drug coverage. Most people have some sort of plan, provided by their employer, that helps with the price of drugs. I am assuming that coverage will include the price of artificial birth control, either pill or otherwise. So, most people will find they get reimbursed for part, if not all, of the cost of contraception.

Did the Catholic Church make any statement about this? I don't recall ever hearing anything on this issue. We Canadian Catholics all know (or should) that all abortions are paid for by our taxes, but I would guess that most of us don't even think about the coverage of birth control.

Which makes me wonder if our bishops here are so backed into the corner, that they have no voice whatsoever to raise against government policy. Anyone have some insights on this?

No comments: