Friday, March 18, 2011

Bishops Boycott March for Life

From LifeSiteNews - Alberta bishops will not participate in the March for Life this spring because the organizers cannot guarantee that graphic signs will not show up at the march.

Seems to me that this is a convenient excuse to "get off the hook" for the March; why could the Bishops not make a statement (very clearly heard) that they do not favour the signs, but still join in the March? Not everyone who marches agrees with the use of graphic signs of aborted babies, but the March is meant to show solidarity of the pro-life movement in Canada. More than the fall Life Chain, the March for Life is a joyous occasion that brings together young and old in a great display of pro-life activism.

Now the bishops say that they will attend the vigil the evening before and will say Mass on the morning of the March. Note how those activities are indoors, away from the public who might just see the clergy showing their support for the unborn. Call me cynical, I am.

2 comments:

Julie Culshaw said...

Melissa, I got your comment in my email, but for some reason it didn't make it to the blog. Can you repost it please? Comments are automatic, I didn't want you to think I had decided to eliminate it. Thanks.

Melissa said...

Hi Julie,

Sorry, I didn't save my comment on my computer. I guess it's gone into that oblivion where all good comments go. The rest of the world will just have to forever be unaware of my wit and wisdom :P

You did a pretty good job of summarizing it though. I'm still thinking this issue through, but it's too late for me to be lucid tonight. I'll be in touch.