Wednesday, February 25, 2009

St. Joseph's Hospital Story Continues

The articles continue to emerge on this story of "eugenic abortions" at a Catholic hospital in London, Ontario. But this one cannot be ignored. A woman, who was pressured to have an early induction because she was carrying a baby with Trisomy 18, has come forward and told her story .

This simply cannot go ignored for much longer. Bishop Fabbro is going to have to make a statement soon about this situation. Andrea Mrozek who moderates the blog, ProWomanProLife, where this story has been discussed since it appeared in the National Post on the weekend, stated
I suppose I wanted to believe the best about that hospital; as a non-Catholic; I tend to believe that Catholics are the ones who hold the line on this topic. I suppose it was somewhat naive of me to believe that no Catholic could ever make a mistake. (All the more discouraging then, when they make up fancy covers to get around what they are actually doing to convince the ill-informed among us…which apparently includes me.)

I was taken by surprise by her comment; I didn't realise that some people actually look to Catholics for direction in matters of pro-life. Being a Catholic, I am too aware of our failings. So when someone says, they trusted us to "hold the line", I am humbled by the fact that we have not.

And I am concerned that this story will now cause more people to be scandalized. To all those for whom this story causes offense, I wish to apologize for letting you down. I want to apologize for my Church, that has not been faithful to what it teaches, for the many ways in which we have compromised what we know to be the truth.

I love the Catholic Church and I have personally known many giants of the faith in my Church. But I also know that many have fallen far short of what they should have been. And whenever that happens, people are hurt by their actions and many more are scandalized by their sins. Lord have mercy on us all.

No comments: